Friday, December 10, 2004

#2 - Public Display of Affection

Have you ever seen couples who are bundled up, akin to that of the Ikea furniture one can bring home? Or perhaps they were kissing in happy oblivion and made you wonder if you turned invisible for a moment?

Public display of affection, or also known as PDA, always makes me cringe. Indeed, I am a self-proclaimed PDA-nazi. I have little tolerance for couples who assume obligation to openly declare their affection for each other through various acts of groping, fondling and the like in public. Such brazen behaviour is increasingly prominent of late and is a cause for worry in our society.

Whilst our government eagerly promotes our ingenious Romancing Singapore! programme, I am marvelled by their success in making Singaporeans believe the government advocates Public Display of Affection as part of constituting a romantic, civilised society. French-kissing on public buses hardly makes up for the lack of worthy entertainment on TV Mobile, and takes place under extremely different circumstances from that seen in the romantic movies! I suppose most Singaporeans have difficulty differentiating licentiousness from romance.

What can be worse? Witnessing students clad in full uniform, engaging in PDA. It is sheer visual agony to watch two under-aged children reiterating the lustful romance often found in Hollywood movies in public. They not only invite ridicule towards themselves, but bring down their schools’ reputation and society’s moral dignity, too.

Singapore’s land is scarce, and we all know we ought to allocate the said resource carefully. However, I must insist there is no need for these Ikea-modelled couples to go to that extent to save space. Their self-sacrificial efforts are lauded without the need for them to put it into action. Singapore’s land is definitely sufficient to hold its entire population of without having anyone cling to another like a koala to its tree.

Whenever I see couples in PDA, I feel the urge to offer help so they have no excuse to demonstrate their ultimate space-saving solution. I am often tempted to ask, "Are you that cold? I can offer my jacket." Perhaps smile and say, "You feel cramped over there? I'll exchange seats with you!" or even shriek, "Is she fainting? Is she fainting? I'll call the ambulance now!"

So, I am a full fledged PDA-nazi. Join the camp.


4 Comments:

Blogger Dominique said...

It would seem I have something to say about this, too! First of all, it is very uncomfortable to see people practically having sex up against a car in the parking lot. I want to say, "Get a room, guys," but the fear that they could be psychos and shoot/stab me usually gets the better of me.

When people are waiting for a table at a "Family Restaurant" such as The Olive Garden here in the States, though, and they're examining each other's tonsils with each other's tongues, it just seems a little gross. Okay, a lot gross. Especially when that inattentive parent is putting their name on the waiting list and doesn't notice that their 4-year old is gaping in rapt fascination as the scene unfolds with Mr. & Ms. Ikea (no, they're not married, not even old enough to vote), the hormone-crazed couple...the poor toddler's sucking his thumb and his eyes are as wide as saucers. I mean, from a kid's point of view, all that writhing around and face mashing probably looks pretty painful, especially if there are muffled groans accompanying the activity, as well.

If there are enough people around and I feel safe, I'll just state at them. Sometimes others nearby me will "get the joke" and join me in staring. The couple is usually so self-absorbed that they don't even notice. But if they do, they tend to tone it down. I have a line ready if anyone ever says, "What are you looking at?" I'll say, "You! That was quite a show you had going! Please don't stop on our account."

Yeah, I'm not usualy a bitch like that, but such is the way with pet peeves...they tend to make you act in a way that is somewhat foreign to one's usual self. Thanks for a great post.

December 14, 2004 at 9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just kissing quickly or small pecks on the lips and cheek are perfectly fine. Long hugs are reasonable, and holding hands should be extremely acceptable. I must admit making out people in public isnt very enjoyable to witness, but should ONLY be disencouraged, not illegal. When a couple goes farther than making out, I must admit it is uncomfortable. That is all.

October 27, 2005 at 6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea huggin kissin hldin hands is fine.. and makin out in public is alrght with me i aint lookin at it or for it so y wood it bother me... if u dont wanna see it dont look @ it.. if it bothers u its ur fault for starin at it on and on... yea sex is public is a lil disturbing and so is anything after makin out...

February 5, 2006 at 5:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have just one comment to make... If you hate PDA's and are so disturbed by them, why do you keep looking? If someone is making out with someone else and you find it disgusting and inappropriate turn your head and think of something else... How is it worse than anything else that you personally don't like. What's the difference between a PDA nazi and a Nazi? Maybe you don't believe in PDA, but why must you try to force that upon others. The PDA-ers are the oppressed. I mean really, how many people that are making out have tried to get you to join them.. But how many "PDA Nazis" try to force PDA-ers into stopping. Think about it.

February 17, 2006 at 5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home