Tuesday, December 21, 2004

#5 - Come Back, O Christmas Camaraderie!

Envision the perfect Christmas holiday season, where one sips champagne in a totally relaxed mood and the sole worry revolves around getting the perfect gifts for everyone. You are dreaming, because you have been shoved in the midst of an insane school term by default. You cannot choose, you can only dream and perhaps drool a little here - I can excuse you for that. Otherwise, I shall be a sullen kvetch and what may be my only excuse? I happen to be in the same predicament as you, unless you are not facing the dilemma of bothersome schoolwork during the holidays. If so, please kindly slap yourself twice and saunter away.

Pardon me for being so high-strung. My sudden surge of sarcasm stems from the rapidly rising levels of stress and lack of time management. Twenty-four hours in a day is hardly enough to deal with school and the Christmas season. I have to squeeze school lectures, tutorials, workshops, assignments, projects, CCAs and Christmas carolling, shopping, baking, gift-wrapping, card-writing and the like, all into my schedule and yet still breathe? I suppose I can star in The Incredibles 2 already! Maybe not, if I realised I placed my Written Communication dictionary into the oven and brought raw cookie dough in a futile attempt to placate Messrs Wong and Sharpe.

This kind of regime continues for two weeks, whilst the world outside is raving about Christmas by going on shopping sprees and enjoying themselves. People like me have been conveniently forgotten as we slog our guts out as if we were Santa’s elves. Oh, but the elves do get days off. I look at my sisters who are indulging in everything that will improve their complexions for Christmas parties, and they raise their brows at their pathetic younger sister who has the complexion of the moon because she struggles to even get four hours of sleep. Perhaps putting cookie dough on my face will help, I can try that later.

I am three-quarters convinced that my school management is sadistic and warped. They just have to gloat at the students’ deprivation of the Christmas season and add insult to injury by placing a huge, ugly, revolving Christmas tree right smack in the centre of the ever gloomy Atrium. Of course, we as students need constant reminders of how heart-wrenching this holiday season is! The library is teeming with miniature clones of the hideous green monster from the Atrium, haunting students who are reduced to hiding out amongst books instead of being at Orchard Road.

By the time Christmas Eve arrives, I will still be prisoner of my academic pursuit and Christmas obligations. Carolling will begin at one in the afternoon and Radio Production workshop is ending at six in the evening. How things will work out for me, I do not know. All I want to do now is to have a cookie dough facial and spread the icing on my dictionary.

Merry Christmas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home